Thursday, February 10, 2011

Don't do as they do...

I love old propaganda posters and often look on the net for different and interesting ones. Recently I came across one which refers to the contentious debate over the prohibition of alcohol -  a hot political cookie
in New Zealand in the 1920s.

Poster: Alexander Turnbull Library

 The poster, probably from 1925 or 1928, shows a New Zealand soldier kicking an old man representing Uncle Sam back across the Pacific from New Zealand to North America. It urges New Zealanders not to follow the United States in banning alcohol and claims prohibition there (in force since 1919) has caused more harm than good. A political party, the ‘Continuance Party’, was formed and waswell funded by the liquor trade. It spent heavily on advertising material in the lead-up to national referenda, especially in the 1920s.

Prohibition does no good, of course. Educational 'experts' constantly instruct us teachers that telling a kid NOT to do something immediately makes them want to do it... the same goes for adults, that's for sure. And when there's a whole barrel of money to be made.....


I love a glass of wine in the evening; in fact, I plan to go and pour myself one when I've finished this post. A cool, crisp, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc... mmmm, my mouth's watering. After a very busy week and a long hot day, there's nothing better. 

But no-one would deny that this can be a very dangerous drug, one which can cause terrible damage to individuals, and heartache and suffering to families. The problem of youngsters "binge-drinking" worries us in this country, as it does in many others I guess. Too often the result of a night out is dangerous, destructive and inappropriate behaviour. We've all done stupid things - well, I know I have. But truly it seems to be getting worse and worse - and younger and younger. Accidents, deaths, alcohol poisoning, assaults and pregnancies make for a depressing lists of consequences.

I'm afraid I have no helpful suggestions, or solutions.
All of this diatribe was started by thinking about the old poster and the ideas it was trying to foster in the viewer. 
I wish you all a pleasant evening:


Your good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews